We have two data categories:
Open Data is free data that anyone can view, re-use or re-publish provided that the original source is attributed. We make this data available under the Open Government Licence (OGL).
We are continuously publishing more of our data as Open Data to benefit our customers, the environment and economy.
Restricted data For some data, we have to restrict access due to data protection, legal or other reasons. These data are available under a conditional data licence.
Where data are third party owned, customers are advised to request these directly from the data originator.
‘Lle’ means ‘place’ in the Welsh language and is a hub for data and information related to Wales and the environment. It is a partnership between Welsh Government and NRW.
Keep up with the latest published data on Lle Geo-Portal by subscribing to our RSS feeds.
NBN Atlas Wales
We publish most of our ecology data, such as species and habitats, on the NBN Atlas Wales.
‘NRW ecological data exempt from general release under EIR’ explains why some data are only available under a conditional data licence.
Please refer to the NBN Atlas Video tutorials if you are a first time user of the site.
You can view selected data on our map viewers, such as river levels. Please use the flood risk map viewer to check your long-term risk of flooding from rivers and sea, surface water and reservoirs. Data can also be viewed on the Lle Map browser.
National River Flow Archive
Please let us know the time period and level of detail required (eg daily totals) when you make the request.
Live data API portal
Data developers can download our Open Data APIs from the Natural Resources Wales API Portal.
Current available API data sets
- Flood Risk Forecast API (Open Data) - gives the indication of the potential for flooding for three days: the day on which it is issued and the subsequent two days ahead
- Live Flood Warnings and Alerts API (Open Data) - provides a list of all current warnings in force and is updated every 15 minutes
- River Levels API (Open Data) - provides information on river levels at our measurement stations across Wales
Flood data products including flood models
These are typically requested for use in Flood Risk Assessments or Flood Consequence Assessments. We can also provide Flood Risk Reports for insurance purposes. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for bespoke data, models and reports. Raw data is available from Lle Geo-Portal: NRW open flood data.
How to search for available data and find out if data is open or restricted
Please use our library catalogue. Select the search box on the left hand menu and click onto ‘dataset titles’.
How we share restricted data
These data are available under a licence that will specify conditions for re-use.
Apply for a re-use licence to access Restricted Data
Licencing and supply of data that are not available online may take up to 20 working days.
- email@example.com (requests for data)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (enquiries about NRW data published on Lle-Geo Portal)
- email@example.com (requests for reports)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (requests for information under Freedom of Information)
- email@example.com (all other enquiries)