Cookies on our website

The Natural Resources Wales website uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more details about cookies and how to manage them, see our cookie policy.

Check for a permit, licence or exemption (Public Register)

Natural Resources Wales issues permits, licences and exemptions for industry, business and individuals to carry out certain activities that have the potential to pollute or harm the environment. For a number of activities the legislation specifies that a Public Register must be made available.

Waste carriers, brokers and dealers

See details of all current waste carriers, brokers and dealers registered in Wales.

For detailed information about all registrations, including those made before 5 March 2015 - check our spreadsheet of carriers, brokers, and dealers

For registrations from 5 March 2015 onward - check our electronic carriers, brokers, and dealers registration system

Hints and tips:

  • Registration numbers starting with CBDL mean that the licence is Lower Tier. Lower Tier licences do not expire. They stay in force until they are de-registered

  • Registration numbers starting with CBDU mean that the licence is Upper Tier. Upper Tier licences last for three years from the date of registration

  • When you open the spreadsheet, you may need to click 'View, Edit document' or 'Enable content' to use the search function

  • If you’re using the spreadsheet of carriers, brokers, and dealers to check a registration, go to the ‘About this spreadsheet’ tab for help using the document

Waste and water quality exemptions

See the details of all the waste and water quality exemptions registered in Wales on the public register:

View the waste and water quality exemptions public register

Hazardous waste producer registrations

See details of all the Hazardous Waste Producer registrations in Wales on the Public Register.

View the Hazardous Waste Producer public register

Waste, water quality, water resources and installation permits

See details of all current Waste, Water Quality, Water Resources and Installation Permits issued in Wales.

View the Waste, Water Quality, Water Resources and Installations public register

For information on waste only permits, you can also  look at our waste permit map.

Authorised treatment facilities for end-of-life vehicles 

See the spreadsheet below for the NRW public register of Authorised treatment facilities for end-of-life vehicles (ELVs).

Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Approved Authorised Treatment Facility (AATF) and Approved Exporter (AE)

See the spreadsheet below for the NRW public register of WEEE AATFs and AEs.

Scrap metal dealers

See the spreadsheet below for the NRW public register of scrap metal dealers in Wales.

Trees, woodland and forestry

Applications for tree felling

We publish details of proposed felling licences for a minimum of four weeks. During this period you can view and comment on the proposals. 

View register for felling

Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)

Under the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) (Forestry) Regulations 1999 we must show the decisions we make about whether proposals will have a significant effect on the environment.

View Environmental Impact Assessment for forestry register

Forest Resource Plans (FRP)

Find details of how we approve tree felling on the Welsh Government Woodland Estate through Forest Resource Plans (FRP). This allows us to demonstrate an equivalent level of regulation on WGWE.

View Forest Resource Plan register

Further public register information and the Permitting Publication Scheme

If you cannot access the information that you need from the links above you can contact the enquires team who will be able to advise you if the information that you require is available and how to access it.

The Natural Resources Wales Permitting Publication Scheme aims to make available information about permit applications and decisions. The document below contains details of what information is available for all the permitting regimes Natural Resources Wales is responsible for.

You can find out if a company or individual has a permit, licence or exemption to operate legally for any of the activities we regulate by contacting the enquiries team.


Phone: 0300 065 3000 (Mon - Friday 9am - 5pm)

Is there anything wrong with this page? Give us your feedback.